Electronics can be damaged by the high temperatures used in high pressure injection moulding, but the materials used in low pressure overmoulding have a much lower melting point for use with delicate cables and circuit boards.
A design by our in-house 3D design team, a cost-efficient aluminium mould tool set, and our unmatched expertise is all it takes. Additionally, with cycle times of 30 seconds to 2 minutes your overmoulded parts can be completed in no time.
Hundreds of manufacturers are improving reliability and reducing manufacturing time by outsourcing their electronics encapsulation requirements and working with us as their contract overmoulding partner. We help them create better products by using our acclaimed low pressure overmoulding experience.
The Low Pressure Overmoulding Process
The Low-Pressure Injection Moulding process consists of 3 simple steps
Unlike potting – which can take up to seven process steps – the Low-Pressure Overmoulding process consists of 3 simple steps which involve placing exposed electronics or the PCB assembly into a specially manufactured aluminium mould tool and completely enclosing them with a liquid compound which effectively forms the housing for the device.
- Insert the part.
We place the electrical part into the mould in an appropriately specified Low Pressure Moulding (LPM) machine. The other half of the mould closes, creating a cavity.
The thermoplastic materials are poured into the hopper of the machine and heated until liquified and then injected into the mould tool cavity and the overmoulding procedure begins (cycle time is between 15 and 60 seconds)
- Take out & cool down.
The part is quick to cool down (due to the heat conduction capabilities of the aluminium tooling) and is released from the tooling. It can be inspected / tested or packed immediately after moulding before being dispatched to the end customer.
The resulting product offers high levels of protection, strain relief, and resistance to vibration damage.
Why choose Overmould for your Low Pressure Moulding?
Our team of highly skilled engineers has many years of knowledge & a proven track record of overmoulding success.
Our low pressure overmoulding service is our core service offering. We know exactly what to recommend to help you achieve optimal product outcomes.
- We’ll provide a one to one consultation to discuss your project.
- We’re extremely flexible – you can contact us at any time with queries during our working hours.
- We create solutions and alternatives to challenging situations.
- We cover a whole range of industries and tailor our overmoulding service for the strictest and most specific requirements of a project, from design to production.
- We exclusively use Moldman™ moulding machines, premium, top-quality systems, renowned throughout the industry.
- We offer extremely short lead times. Contact us today to find out how quickly your project can be completed.
Low Pressure Overmoulding versus Potting
Low Pressure Overmoulding